Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Coffee Talk

As you can see by the picture to the left and my blog title, coffee is something that I really enjoy. Over the years, I have "matured" in my coffee drinking. Instead of having a drop of coffee in my cup of cream and sugar, I now have a mostly full cup of coffee with some added cream and sugar. I don't know that I'll ever progress to drinking it black, but that's okay with me. A cup of coffee, no matter what time of day, seems to bring me such comfort. Yes, I really do like the taste of it, but mostly I like what a cup of coffee means to me. Let me explain.

When I think of sitting down to a great cup of coffee, I usually prefer to share that experience with someone else. Although I usually have my morning coffee by myself, I love to talk with others while holding that steaming cup of goodness. I can't tell you how many times in the last several months I have met with a friend at a coffee shop, or brewed a fresh pot at home for myself and someone dear to me. I love these times where it's "just us" sharing stories and laughter. At times it's just a chance to get to know someone better, or sometimes it includes sharing deep heartaches and burdens, lifting each other up in prayer. Even more so than the coffee, these sharing times are especially dear to me. These women, these friends, are especially dear to me.

Knowing that these women desire to hear what's on my heart, they draw me into a place of security, trust, comfort, and complete joy. These dear ones truly listen with a sensitive and reassuring ear and know that I will be there for them, when they need a soft place to fall. I love the fact that no matter what I am talking about, they have something to say about it too. I never get a grunt or a disinterested "hmm" or "uh huh." I have heard that women use around 2 or 3 times as many words as men in an average day. So I understand that's just a difference between the "hers" and the "hims!" But I must say, it is wonderful to communicate with someone who likes to use as many words as I do! One of my most favorite places to be is in a conversation that has lasted hours and feels as though it could go on for hours more.....in a good way, that is :) I love the freedom of sharing anything and everything. And I love being the one they share anything and everything with....back. Ya know? Is this confusing? Well, this is coming from a woman, so you can expect it to be lengthy!

Okay, well these were my thoughts for the day. Nothing too thrilling or blog-worthy, really. But these are my thoughts, nonetheless!

Lord, thank you for the wonderful things you've given me in this life. You've given me wonderful things like taste-buds, so I can enjoy amazing flavors....like coffee! And thank you so much for my friends. They are gifts that I never tire of. Friends really are the gifts that keep on giving! I don't deserve them, but am extremely grateful for what they add to my life. Thank you God! And just so ya know, I've been sipping away at my coffee while I've been blogging, so thanks for joining me in this "coffee talk!" (sorry it's been a little one-sided)

Well, I should be signing out....time for a refill!

1 comments:

Karen Hossink said...

OK, I do not like coffee - at all. Not even one little bit. Like, a drop of it in a cup of cream and sugar would still be too much for me.
But now that you've gone and put this relational spin on it, you actually make it sound appealing! *grin*
If I could get the conversation time and skip the coffee, I think I would do it!

Thanks so much for you kind comment on my blog today.
And, just so you know, Barry Manilow is my favorite secular artist. Have you ever seen him in concert? He is quite an excellent showman!