Thursday, December 4, 2008

Keep Your Socks On!



Despite what the calendar said, it wasn't officially "Christmas time" until I wore my rockin' Christmas socks :) Now that I have your attention, I have something else I really wanted to share today.

Okay, I'm switching gears quickly here, so get ready. 14 years ago today I received a phone call that pretty much changed the rest of my life. It was a Sunday afternoon and I was getting ready for choir practice, when my mom came in and told me I had a phone call. She kind of had a quizzical look on her face, but I didn't think too much of it. Once I realized who was on the other end of the line, I quickly understood what it was all about. It was my youth pastor's wife's brother (did you follow that?)....who lived a couple states away. Little did I know that the young man who called me that day in 1994 would later become my husband in 1998. Well, that's not entirely true. I knew very early on that there was something extra special about this guy and within 3 months of dating (long distance dating) I knew without a doubt that this was the man God had saved just for me.

I need to give a shout-out to my sister-in-law who played a pretty good matchmaker :) There's a lot more to the story of course, but I don't think I could really write it all out. But it's crazy to think that phone call led to a marriage and the birth of 4 little girls. We've had our ups and we've had our downs, and we are still learning what it means to love selflessly. But, I am so glad he called me! I now know that he started to dial my number a few times, but then quickly hung up because he was nervous. I'm glad you finally got the gusto to call, hon :) I love you.

5 comments:

Karen Hossink said...

Happy "Anniversary"!!! *grin*

Missy said...

Great story! :)

Anonymous said...

you were supposed to mention that Olive Garden Birthday cake delivered late one night to his sisters's house while he was in town visiting and rushing to make a poster to hang up on a telephone poll at the point they turned into Nik and Jon's neighborhood.
Oh those were definitely the days.

--Stacey Barrett

taniawillis said...

hahahaaaa.
stace beat me to it!
:o)

Stacey said...

Tee hee...yes, those were the days :)