Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Autumn Wishes

It's been a long time, a very long time, since I have been an active member in the blogging community. I have decided it's about time for me to re-engage. My time of absence is over! There is no possible way to sum up what's been happening since July (I can't believe it's been that long!), so I will pick up where we are in the present.

It is the Fall season. I love Autumn. Love it. It has always been my favorite time of year. I assume it has something to do with Thanksgiving and the fact that I love to cook and love to eat what has been cooked. Pure and simple...I like food. Okay, that's another post :) As I think about this very special season, there are things that I look forward to experiencing within the next 2 months; the sights, smells, and tastes that are unique to this time of year. This is my wish list and things I look forward to during this Fall season:

  • Making delicious fall treats (pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, hot spiced cider, chili)
  • The cool, crisp air
  • The smell of burning leaves (my second most favorite smell EVER)
  • Visiting the pumpkin farm with my family (and sampling the hot cider and donuts!)
  • Watching the girls pick out their pumpkins
  • Taking a walk with the family through the woods and seeing the vibrant, awesome colors
  • Celebrating Hannah's 8th birthday
  • The annual Harvest Party at our church
  • Thanksgiving
  • Wearing a cozy sweater and jeans
  • The anticipation of Christmas
  • Cuddling in front of the fireplace on a cool night

I'm hoping this Autumn doesn't pass as quickly as they usually do. It seems like I blink and it's over. I want to take in every last drop before it's gone! Ultimately this time of year is a reminder that once again points to my Creator. Every time I see Mt. Hood (which is covered in snow again!) I see God's awesomeness. Every time I see the bright orange and red leaves, I am reminded of God's creativity. My heart rejoices in thanksgiving as I spend time with my family, whether picking out the family pumpkin, or walking through the woods together, the leaves crunching under our feet. And as gorgeous as I think my surroundings are now, I cannot even fully imagine what it will be like in heaven someday; beautiful and perfect in every way. Absolute paradise...beyond my imagination! But I certainly see glimpses of His handiwork now, and for that I am thankful.

Speaking of Fall favorites, I have Chicken 'n Dumplings in the slow cooker right now, and the clock is telling me that it's ready! I hope to be back soon, hopefully with pictures of our trip to the pumpkin farm. Enjoy this gorgeous season and all it has to offer!