Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lovin' Black Bananas

I have enjoyed baking for several years now. But only within the last few years, have I become aware of my love of baking with bananas. You know that yellow thing that is said to be a favorite of monkeys??? Well, that's the fruit, but I like 'em nice and brown...black, actually. I don't eat them right out of the peel when they're black, but I do love to add them to whatever batter I'm stirring up. For those of you who don't know, the darker the banana peel, the more banana flavor you'll have in your baked goods. *Side note* If you put a banana in the freezer (peel on) you will achieve the blackest, yet mold-free, yummiest, banana flavor ever!

Anywho, today I wanted to post two of my favorite things to make, using my beloved blackened bananas :) First off, my own creation, Banana Muffins with Chocolate Peanut Butter Chips. I have just recently concocted this recipe, and actually just made them for the first time today. So beware, they are not FDA approved :) The recipe is as follows :

Banana Muffins with Chocolate Peanut Butter Chips

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup applesauce (I used apple sauce flavored with cinnamon)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate peanut butter chips


Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, applesauce, milk and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bananas and chocolate peanut butter chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three quarters full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 22-25 minutes or until they spring back to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

Voila! I will warn you that they are very rich, but have a decadent, comforting depth to them. They go great with a cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk. You will definitely need something to wash them down with. Absolute yumminess :) Hope you like them!


One of my other favorite things to bake, using black bananas is a good, moist loaf of banana bread. Deee-lish! I have made several different versions of banana bread, but this one is always my go-to recipe. I can't take any credit for this one. It's found on allrecipes.com. Follow the directions, as listed :

Banana Bread V

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white sugar (I use 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup brown)
1 egg
5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup mashed bananas (I use at least 2 cups)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

*Note* I also add approximately 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cloves, and 1 tsp nutmeg into the flour mixture.

Directions:

1. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt (and spices, if using).

2. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter. Beat the egg slightly, and mix into the creamed mixture with the bananas. Mix in sifted ingredients, just until combined. Stir in milk and nuts. Spread batter into one greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan.

3. Bake at 350 degrees until top is brown and cracks along the top. (about 1 hour)

Well, there you have it! Moist, flavorful banana bread that, in my opinion, is the perfect consistency.

I love baking, especially in the Fall season. For me, it's a way to show love to my family. I know that the time and effort I put into my baking is appreciated when I hear the "mmm's" around the table. Baking goodies is just one small way I can show my appreciation and gratitude for them :)


0 comments: