Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Great Northwest

This morning I was taking a walk and thinking what a beautiful area of the country we are now living in. As I looked into the distance I saw massive mountains spanning across the horizon. Above the mountains I saw a vibrant blue sky speckled with white puffy clouds. The trees and grass around me were the greenest I've ever seen. All the colors and sights of this landscape had me in awe. It was a breathtaking view. Plus, the air just seems so sweet here in Oregon. I'm sure it's the lack of humidity that makes it such a pleasure to breathe in! The temperature (most days) is mild and the rain may make it's appearance some afternoons, but then often leads into a gorgeous evening. (Yes, I realize the rainy season is just around the corner!) I know everyone has trees, and clouds, and grass, but it just seems especially beautiful here.

I often wonder why God lead us out here, taking us so far away from family and friends. But, I am so grateful and content to be where we are. Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be very difficult this year. No family get-togethers and no gift exchanges, but we still have our family of six. I wouldn't trade that for anything. And we have our God. Irreplaceable. I wonder if we aren't out here "by ourselves" so we can learn the importance and value of our family (the 6 of us.) I am quite sure we need the ongoing lesson of relying on and trusting God, especially when we don't have the support system we're used to. We want Him to be our Rock no matter where we are. And yes, we are enjoying getting to know our new family (BCC) very much! They have given us such a warm welcome. In a sense, it has felt like home from the beginning.

I guess this post has been more a time of "reflection," but in the end, I am left with feelings of gratitude, awe, and thankfulness for God's grace, unending love, and perfect timing. I am reminded of Psalm 136~ His faithful love endures forever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they are as refreshing to me as the awsome views are to your eyes and the envigorating air to your nostrils and lungs. You are a lovely person.

Anonymous said...

Funny, but I came across your blog (through Kindred Hearts) this evening as I was feeling homesick for the Northwest. We moved from Idaho to Texas just five months ago and find ourselves in the same situation you described. Nothing will be the same for our family this year. That's OK because we know we are where the Lord wants us, but the pain of what we left behind is still very real. I guess it helps to know we're not the only ones on the journey.

Blessings,

Angela